OK, so I’m living back in Maine now, as of a few days ago, but I wanted to pay one last homage to Richmond, VA. While I was making my last drive out of my neighborhood last Friday, I saw a Fan hipster riding his bike down the street no-handed, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, writing a text message, and hauling a PBR in his water bottle holder. The image stuck with me; I will miss all my crazy neighbors and their fixed-gear bicycles.
And the thing I will miss the most is running all over Richmond. So here is my last hoorah to a wonderful city and great people:
You Might Be From Richmond If…RUNNER’S EDITION
1. You’re an avid runner, and an avid cigarette smoker, and see no problem there.
2. You’ve accepted and chugged a PBR from dedicated spectators at mile 22 of the Richmond Marathon.
3. You love Belle Isle, especially when there is nobody else there.
4. Post-race hydration? Joe’s Inn has that covered with their $2.75 mimosas.
5. You’ve got miles and miles of beautiful parks and trails you could run on, but for some reason you find yourself running up and down Monument Ave with everyone else.
6. When you run in the summertime you get caught in a thunder storm 95% of the time.
7. You’ve ever asked yourself “Should I run the trails with the nice nature views today, or stick to the street where I can admire the houses?”
8. You can ride a bike, smoke a cigarette, and drink a beer all at the same time.
9. You feel totally comfortable in your mismatched neon spandex as you strut by well-dressed professionals eating their sophisticated lunches along the Canal Walk.
10. You have one of the best cities in the world to run in : )